The Island of Flores is located in the Western Group of the Archipelago of the Azores, being the biggest of its group. It occupies an area of 141,7 km², mostly made up of mountainous terrains, with big ravines and giant cliffs. Its highest peak is Morro Alto, with an altitude of 914 meters. The island’s resident population is 3.791 inhabitants (2011), spreading between the municipalities of Santa Cruz and Lajes das Flores. It is often referred to as being the westernmost point of Europe and considered to be one of the most beautiful island of the whole archipelago.
The islands of the Western Group – Flores and Corvo – were found in 1452, when Diogo de Teive and his son, João de Teive, were returning from an exploration journey to Newfoundland. In the beginning of the following year, January 20, 1453, Afonso V of Portugal donated the islands of “Corvo Marini” to his uncle, Afonso I, Duke of Bragança.
The islands were later donated to Infante D. Henrique, Master of the Order of Christ, that names them island of São Tomás and island of Santa Iria in his will. The current name “Flores”, in use since 1474 or 1475, is due to the abundance of yellow colored flowers, the “cubres” (Solidago Sempervirens), that cover the shoreline of the island – their seeds having been probably brought by migrating birds from the first peninsula of Florida, in North America.
The island of Flores is considered a Biosphere Reserve recognized by UNESCO. +INFO
The natural and inhabitants of Flores are called “florentinos”.
* * *
[39° 40' 19" N, 31° 06' 42" W]
The island of Corvo is the smallest island of the Archipelago of the Azores, being located in the Western Group, north of the island of Flores. Its territory is coincident with the municipality of Vila do Corvo (village), the only municipality of the Portuguese Republic that doesn’t have a parish, according to the article 136 of the Politico-administrative Statute of the Autonomous Region of the Azores, that level of territorial divise does not exist. The island occupies a total area of 17,13 km², with 6,5 km long and 4 km wide.
It is 13 miles distant from Santa Cruz das Flores (island of Flores). It is made up of a single extinct volcano – Monte Gordo – coronated with a wide abatement crater locally called “the cauldron”, with 3,7 km perimeter and 300 meters depth, where the Cauldron Lagoon is.
The island of Corvo is considered a Biosphere Reserve recognized by UNESCO. +INFO
The locals and inhabitants of Corvo are called “corvinos”.